Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A nice clean-cut hole

Mishaps find me wherever I go and it's rare that I get to write a funny post where I'm not the punch line. So when the opportunity comes, no way am I letting it slip past me. A few months ago Jay was in the garage helping me load up the kids for the morning day care drop-offs; we were running late and both frazzled as we tried to make sure everyone had their supplies for the day. A second of lip contact and I was speeding down the street without looking back.

If I had glanced in my rear-view mirror, I might have seen my husband running after me, waving wild arms in a futile attempt to catch my attention. On safety auto-pilot, I had locked the garage door into the house, not realizing Jay hadn't brought his keys outside with him. So there he was, standing in the garage in a ratty tank top and shorts, twisting the stubborn doorknob in the hopes it would magically unlock itself and let him in.

Now what would be a reasonable solution to such a dilemma? Our neighbor two doors down runs a home daycare, so one option would be to walk the 30 seconds to her house and call your wife to let you back in. Just a thought.

Or!

You could climb into the unlocked back of your truck, take out your drywall tools, cut a man-sized hole in the wall between the garage and the house, pull out the insulation, push aside the wiring and crawl through the wall into the house.

Later that day you could call your wife and casually mention the giant hole in the wall, as if this were no big deal and really the only logical way to deal with your unfortunate situation. When she tells you that just because you do drywall for a living you can't go around bashing holes in walls, you would be justified in taking offense and informing her that you did not "bash" a hole: it was a nice, clean-cut hole. What else could you have done? Go over to the neighbor's house in a grungy tank top and ripped shorts? Well, that's just crazy talk.

12 comments:

  1. Tank top and ripped shorts. Plus admit you were locked out? I'm afraid I have to side with your husband here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh...what did I expect from another guy?

      Delete
  2. HA!!! At least he can fix it, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and that's why he didn't understand my freaking out. It was no big deal to him. Men!

      Delete
  3. This is so funny! It reminds me of a time I was out-of-town and my husband locked himself out of the house. No tools available to him, he broke a bedroom window to get in the house. Ugh! P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand the window, especially if you were out of town. But I was just down the street and he could have gone to the neighbour's and called me. So crazy.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE that he cut a MAN SIZE hole in the wall instead of say, a medium or even large size doggy door? I guess he thought he'd go big AND go home!
    My husband would do something equally as ridiculous in that situation except he'd smash the sliding glass door or kick in the front door, he's a graphic designer btw... he doesn't repair ANYTHING he breaks...
    hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My co-workers said I must have misunderstood, and he had cut a small hole beside the door to reach in and unlock it. As you can see by the picture, sadly this was not the case.

      Delete
  5. Only a man would do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Such a thing would never have occurred to me. Ever.

      Delete

Lend me some sugar!