Saturday, November 9, 2013

Nobody cares! (but we're still listening)

After listening to friends complain about types of facebook status updates, I noticed that social media etiquette seems to be a hot topic. Huffington Post recently ran a scathing article mocking facebook users who post about any of the following:
  • good things in their lives
  • bad things in their lives
  • love for a significant other
  • feelings/emotions without thoroughly explaining in minute detail the reason for said feelings/emotions
  • daily activities
  • benign messages to friends that others can see
  • expressions of gratitude
  • support for any opinion shared by others
  • any philosophical comment/quote
Apparently people who post these things are insufferable, narcissistic attention whores who should be ostracized like the social lepers they are.

Do you know who I find insufferable? People who maintain a facebook friendship or follow a blog only to make fun of the author for exhibiting the qualities of your average human being anywhere. I'm curious as to what remains that is acceptable to post on facebook according to the etiquette police, since it seems designed for precisely the topics listed above. Any substantial discussion is more easily addressed in a blog or personal conversation, which leaves the trivial to find a cozy home in facebook status updates.

I like the alleged "image crafters" that I've previously known as my friends. A friendship may have drifted apart emotionally or geographically, but I'm still interested in what that person is doing and enjoy the casual chats about their latest projects and plans. Then again, my facebook friends list is limited to people who I like and whose thoughts and activities do interest me. It's a bold concept that others might consider implementing in their own facebook lives.

I don't want to mess up the image I've been developing in my well thought-out facebook posts, so I'm working on getting the wording just right for my next status update:

Stop taking social media so seriously, precious. If you have a problem with everything everyone else posts, maybe the problem is you.

Now to sit back and wait for the applause! #lol!

11 comments:

  1. Pictures of food are silly, and those "If you love your mother share this, only 1% will etc etc..." are annlying, but they are easy to ignore and don't bother me all that much. Who the hell are these people on the Huff post making the rules? Come on, someone gave a 20 something year old new college graduate a writing assignment, and this is what they came up with in about 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that I love the tags on this one, ha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that they didn't leave much that seems un-annoying on Facebook. What is someone supposed to post? On the other hand, the article nailed the attention-seeking with the Cryptic Cliffhanger. Those annoy me so much. They'll write something like "Worst. Day. Ever. I should just give up." Then, as everyone asks concerned questions and gives support, they won't comment or explain, even though they are always on their phone every five minutes soaking in every word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. {Applause}

    I have to agree with you. Stop taking it so seriously! The unfortunate thing about facebook is that it allows people to craft a different person. I can't tell you how many times I've known someone in real life that is perfectly lovely and you would never know it on facebook! And vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been known to post the occasonal passive-aggressive whinge. But mostly I post stuff I'm quite happy with, and I LOVE hearing about how my friends are doing. Hope your next status gets a good response - I think you should tweet it to HuffPost...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those lists of what people find annoying on Facebook often leave me wondering what IS okay to post? Those lists make people feel more insecure and more likely to fall into crafting an image rather than being real people.

    Plus, who doesn't like it when an actual friend posts good news? Jerks, that's who.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just thankful it's not Presidential Election time-- that's really the only time I hate Facebook. Ironically enough, I actually just don't check it as frequently during that time. I know it's a crazy concept, but if something is going to be bothersome-- I just don't expose myself to it! If updating your status with any of the above is ridiculous, what the hell are you supposed to update!? Seriously. People are kind of, actually, really just a bunch of self-righteous assholes who need to chill out.

    ALSO- I'm glad you are back!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, there is nothing left to post on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha, when I was reading that list, I was thinking the same thing...then what is there left to post? I'm with you, my only 'friends' on Facebook are people that I actually know and like. Pretty much the only thing I can't stand on Facebook are mean spirited posts, most often political. But really, if a person does that enough, I just block them so I don't have to continue reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post! And love your tags. AND A Wrinkle in Time is one of the most amazing books ever (said a grown up reader spoken from her 13-year-old heart). There is such thing as a tesseract. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really hate the ones where people post supposed legitimate warnings about products or current news that turns out to be erroneous. I always do the research before re-posting these 'informative bulletins' and when I find out that these claims are bogus I usually just ignore them. However, I was so angry one day that I told the person that the claim was false and put a link to verify my point. Holy cow, you'd have thought I sh*t on the Pope's oatmeal. Her friends all came to her defense and verbally 'stoned' me. So, my attitude now, is to leave these fools to their follies. I only pay attention to posts from my children, to see pictures of my grandkids.

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!